Saturday, March 31, 2007

What a week....

OK, DH was gone last weekend. And there were some high points, and some low points. We did NOT get off gracefully to school- either Friday or Monday. Less said about that the better...Friday, we did have our pizza party, and watched Dora's World Adventure (got it from Netfllix), and then did an impromptu shopping trip to Walmart to pick up some stuff- woo hoo, what a Friday night! :)
Saturday it was supposed to rain a little (and it did, but not much), and the yard was a swamp, so we went over to a nearby town to go shopping. We went to Best Buy where I got an external hard drive (can you say digi-scrapping obsession? Those kits take up so much space! I was burning them to DVD- but now I can keep them organized better :) We're thinking of upgrading our computer sometime too...and can use that to help us transfer stuff). And the kids bought some candy (at Best Buy? It was by the check out lanes! LOL) This was maybe not a good thing. We went to Joann Fabrics next- I had a pattern I wanted to buy, and wanted to get some fabric for it. The girls were doing ok- but then Rebecca spilled her can of mini M&M's on the floor...and I had to pick them up and throw them away...boy did we have a meltdown. I thought we were going to leave, but we muddled through some how. I let both of the girls choose some fabric for me (I steered them toward the stuff I wanted...and fortunately, they had decent taste :) ). Then we went to Panera for an early lunch- yummy! Things went pretty smoothly there, and we went to the mall for them to play at the indoor play area for a while. Things were going ok- until R. came over and announced she'd had an accident- #2. Ugh. And I'd left the diaper bag with her spare stuff in the car, since she's been doing so well. We went to the family restrooms and cleaned up as best as we could, but then had to go out to the car (which did not go over well!). Finally got out, and got R. changed, then we went over to a friend's house, to see her cute baby, celebrate her birthday belatedly, and let the kids play with her older son. I think everyone had a good time :) We went home and had dinner, and I let the kids crash for a while in front of Dora, then we had an early bedtime.
Sunday- I made waffles! My first time using my waffle-maker (DH usually makes them). I have a yummy recipe for overnight waffles, so I made the batter when we got home on Saturday. We played around the house for a while, then went to a little coffee shop for a snack/early lunch, and then to Lowe's to get some stuff for the yard. The girls had a short nap, and then we went out to work in the yard. I'd been out there earlier- and it was a beautiful day...but our yard is a swamp! We've got so much clay in our soil, it takes for ever for it to drain. I was wearing my crocs, and they were just flooded with muddy water. I had to ask Isabelle to run up and get me a towel to wipe off my feet so I could go back in the house. We had lots of foot baths that week!
Monday- I had to get the girls to dance lesson (Isabelles, but Rebecca came along for the ride). I got them there on time...but kept getting work related phone calls...annoying when you're in a noisy studio trying to entertain a 3 year old.
Tuesday and Wednesday were fairly uneventful. Thursday was hell. It was DH's birthday, and I left in such a hurry, I forgot to wish him happy birthday! :( I left the house at 6:45 to get to work because I was swamped (covering for someone out of town) Got thing wrapped up in time though- it was the girls school Easter program last night. DH was making dinner while I was running around organizing things. I was out in the laundry room (which is off the garage) and was hurrying back inside- I slammed the door really hard...and my little finger (right hand of course) got caught in it. Oh man...agony, I just started crying and couldn't stop, I was afraid it might have been broken (and was definitely cut- got it stopped with pressure and a bandaid). DH wanted to take me in to get an x-ray, but I didn't want to miss the girls program. (Now, I don't think it's broken, but it's still pretty sore- can't really use it yet- thank goodness it wasn't my index finger). Isabelle came up to me and said "Mommy grownups aren't supposed to cry" And we had a talk about how everyone cries sometimes (all while I'm sniffling profusely). And then she gave me a big hug and said "I love your hugs". And I love that kid :) We got to the program and the kids were great- Isabelle insisted on wearing one of her dress-up crowns :) They had a lot of fun- they both enjoy performing.
And then yesterday for date night! DH picked an asian fusion restaurant- he had sushi, and red bean ice cream for dessert. I had some really yummy pan fried cod, served with asparagus, mushrooms, potatoes and shrimp in an herbed butter and creme fraiche sauce. I'm drooling just thinking about it. I had espresso gelato for dessert- very potent! Yum! Then we went to a nearby bar that makes lots of specialty martinis-DH had a vanilla one, and I had a raspberry truffle one. Oh so good! Only one drink though, since we had to drive home, and were both pretty tired. It was awesome to get out by ourselves though!

4 comments:

Christy said...

Ouch! Poor pinkie! I hope that it heals quickly.

Heather New said...

You're drooling THINKING about it, and you were there! I'm drooling READING about it, and I wasn't! LOL

I hope your pinky feels better!

Eleanor said...

It's getting better...although, the cut is right across the knuckle- so I still can't really bend it. It's definitly healing, though, and I'm pretty sure nothing is broken but the skin...

Chris Wasielewski said...

Woo Hoo for a night out!!! That sounds lovely!!

Chris